Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lake Murray Triathlon

FCA Endurance had a strong presence at the Lake Murray Triathlon with the packet pickup, novice table, expo tent and 5 athletes competing in the triathlon. The team walked away with two 1st place awards by Donna Douglass in the Women's 35-39 division and Nick Brunson in the Men's 30-34 division. Slick Douglass (pictured left) had another solid showing with 1:26:04 which was good for 18th of 41 in the very competitive Men's 40-44 division.



For one of the team members, Bob Wright, this was a return to the sport after a 2 season hiatus. Here's Bob's account of the race:


"My return to triathlon was not as successful as I had hoped it would be but I managed to finish after getting somewhat sick in the swim. On the first leg I swallowed a bit of lake water in the chop and then started feeling like I couldn’t breathe, so I shed the top to my wet suit in one of the support boats and resumed the swim. I continued to struggle at he beginning of the bike but then settled down and rode pretty strong in the second half ( a little late to get started) and then I cruised the run just to finish that sucker and get the first race behind me. All in all, pretty disappointing but as I told everyone in the FCA tent, if I hadn’t been racing for the FCA team I probably would have stayed in the support boat and never got back in the water. I’ll refocus now and try to do better at Lake Carolina in June."

We all enjoyed a great afternoon together after the race and met several athletes interested in joining the team. Here are some photos of the event:

Bob's time trial position looks very good.


Slick charges out of the water after a nice 13:54 swim


Donna storms past a male competitor on her way to victory



Jody working hard on the run

Nick with his son, Caleb, after crossing the finish line




We cannot confirm or deny if this is Donna exiting the water after the fastest FCA-E swim split of 12:51



Chili, the team mascot

No comments: